Retro Commander is a post-apocalyptic real-time strategy wargame (RTS). Take command and fight it out in a world where a cataclysmic timeline has transpired on Mother Earth. Wage wars solo, against the AI, or take on your gaming comrades and friends in cross-platform multiplayer matches. Form teams and clans and fight co-op style with the AI and other players for ultimate victory.
As opposed to other real-time strategy game, Retro Commander tries to focus on both, a fun single player and a thrilling multiplayer experience. The game strives to be easy to learn with a modern user interface. Single player comes with skirmish matches against the AI as well as a comic-based story campaign. Multiplayer can be played cross-platform and includes a ranking and rating system.
- Post-Apocalyptic: Real-time strategy (RTS) played in a post-apocalyptic timeline on Mother Earth. The environment includes day-night cycles, rain, snow, wind and solar flare activity.
- Story Campaign: Deep campaign and story line of humanity after a cataclysmic event. Factions come with their own specialized technologies such as stealth, robots, drones or shields.
- Single & Multiplayer: A challenging AI for both single and multiplayer matches with co-op play. Cross-platform multiplayer including LAN/internet. ONLINE play comes with an award and rating system.
- Play Modes: In addition to regular skirmish matches, the game supports missions such as elimination, survival, capture the flag, defense and battle royale. Available in both single and multiplayer also are escort and rescue missions.
- Structures & Troops: Common troops for land, sea and air warfare is available to all factions. Specialized elements such as stealth, shields, EMP weapons, nukes, portals, orbital weapons, assimilator and other troops and structures provide for additional variety.
- Modding: A map editor is included allowing for player-modded maps including player-modded campaigns. All elements including troops, structures, as well as graphics and sound effects, can be modded if desired.
Although some troops are shared, the game is trying not to be a generic RTS-games. There are faction-specific technologies each with their strengths and weaknesses.
- GRA Technology: gives access to stealth and cloaking. Included are cloaked agents and spies as well as bombers with EMP and nuclear weapons. Available also are snipers and heavy airlifts. Can build uranium fabricators.
- ELC Technology: provides robots, airships and robo dogs. Available also are a mechanic and heavy airlift. Can build stationary EMP-field generators.
- IDB Technology: provides hovertanks, drones including EMP-field drones and drones equipped with napalm weapons. Can build fusion generators for power.
- Mayan Technology: consists of decoy capabilities. Included are hologram tanks, transformers, dogs and dolphins. Can build portals.
- Ancient Technology: provides shields, EMP soldiers, assimilators and napalm tanks. Can build matter fabricators.
Downloadable Content (DLC): This is not a free game but comes with downloadable maps. You can unlock all the maps via a one-time payment of "All Maps & Modding". It includes everything for single player including the story campaign, skirmishing against the AI or LAN-play with friends and family.
No DRM: There is no DRM in the game. You don't need to connected to the internet to play single player games or the campaign. You don't need to be logged in to play LAN games either. You don't need to login either for WAN games (locally hosted games over the internet), but you will have to work out your router settings and do the appropriate port-forwarding so your friends can connect from remote.
Compare prices for Retro Commander
- Operating System: Windows XP+
- CPU (Processor): 1.8 GHz
- RAM: 512 MB
- Free disk space: 256 MB
- Video card: OpenGL 2.1+
Retro Commander like games and best alternatives